Skip to main content

LPS report: Foreclosure starts increase, led by late-stage delinquencies

NationalMortgageProfessional.com
Sep 02, 2010

The July Mortgage Monitor report released by Lender Processing Services Inc. (LPS) shows that foreclosure starts are on the rise, with seriously delinquent loans—those six or more months delinquent—dominating new foreclosure actions. The increase in foreclosure starts is consistent with the Department of Treasury's latest report that approximately half of all Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) trial modifications resulted in cancellation, though 45.4 percent of those have resulted in alternative (non-HAMP) modifications. Delinquent and foreclosure inventories continue to stabilize, but have yet to show annual declines. Continuing the trend from June, agency prime loans have seen the greatest month-over-month increase in foreclosure inventory and the second highest percentage increase since January 2009. Only non-agency jumbo prime loans have experienced a greater increase during the same period, but the month-over-month results indicate that this inventory has begun to decline. The report also shows that approximately 895,000 loans that were current at the beginning of January are at least 60 days delinquent or in foreclosure as of the end of July—a month-over-month increase of 120,000 loans. Cure rates remain steady overall, but seriously delinquent cures have declined significantly, by approximately 25 percent, which is consistent with the decline in permanent modifications established during the month of July. Other key results from LPS' latest Mortgage Monitor report include: ►Total U.S. loan delinquency rate: 9.33 percent ►Total U.S. foreclosure inventory rate: 3.75 percent ►Total U.S. non-current* loan rate: 13.08 percent ►States with most non-current* loans: Florida, Nevada, Mississippi, Georgia, Arizona ►States with the fewest non-current* loans: North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming, Montana *Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state. Totals based on LPS Applied Analytics' loan-level database of mortgage assets. For more information, visit www.lpsvcs.com.  
Supreme Court Gives Biden Full Control Over Federal Housing Finance Agency

The U.S. Supreme Court gave President Joe Biden the authority to remove the head of the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) while dismissing claims from shareholders of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Industry News
Jun 23, 2021
Ocwen Financial To Acquire Reverse Mortgage Servicing Platform

Ocwen Financial Corporation's wholly-owned subsidiary, PHH Mortgage Corporation will acquire RMS' reverse mortgage servicing platform.

Industry News
Jun 18, 2021
UniteCT Emergency Rental Assistance Succeeds

Thanks to the successful launch of the UniteCT program, emergency rental assistance funds are helping Connecticut residents maintain housing.

Industry News
Jun 17, 2021
Angel Oak Mortgage Announces Initial Public Offering

Angel Oak Mortgage announced its initial public offering of 7,200,000 shares of its common stock at $19 per share.

Industry News
Jun 17, 2021
Mortgage Apps Rebound After Three Consecutive Weeks Of Declines

The Mortgage Bankers Association reported the first increase in mortgage applications after a three consecutive weeks on declines.

Industry News
Jun 17, 2021
CFPB New Rule Prevents Predatory Lending To Military Service Members

The CFPB stipulates its authority to examine supervised financial institutions for risk to active duty servicemembers and their dependents.

Industry News
Jun 16, 2021