Skip to main content

Apps Drop 10.5 Percent Over Previous Week in Latest MBA Survey

Oct 20, 2010

The Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA) has released its Weekly Mortgage Applications Survey for the week ending Oct. 15. The Market Composite Index, a measure of mortgage loan application volume, decreased 10.5 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis from one week earlier. On an unadjusted basis, the Index also decreased 10.5 percent compared with the previous week. This week's results do not include an adjustment for the Columbus Day holiday. The Refinance Index decreased 11.2 percent from the previous week. The seasonally adjusted Purchase Index decreased 6.7 percent from one week earlier. The unadjusted Purchase Index decreased 6.6 percent compared with the previous week and was 29.4 percent lower than the same week one year ago. The four week moving average for the seasonally adjusted Market Index is up 0.4 percent. The four week moving average is down 1.1 percent for the seasonally adjusted Purchase Index, while this average is up 0.7 percent for the Refinance Index. The refinance share of mortgage activity decreased to 82.4 percent of total applications from 83.1 percent the previous week. The adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) share of activity increased to 5.8 percent from 5.4 percent of total applications from the previous week. The average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages increased to 4.34 percent from 4.21 percent, with points decreasing to 0.81 from 1.02 (including the origination fee) for 80 percent loan-to-value (LTV) ratio loans. This is the first increase in the 30-year contract rate in six weeks. The effective rate also increased from last week. The average contract interest rate for 15-year fixed-rate mortgages increased to 3.74 percent from 3.62 percent, with points decreasing to 1.00 from 1.06 (including the origination fee) for 80 percent LTV loans. This is the first increase in the 15-year contract rate in six weeks. The effective rate also increased from last week. For more information, visit www.mortgagebankers.org.
About the author
Published
Oct 20, 2010
123 Newrez Employees Laid Off In Florida and Colorado

WARN Notices were filed the day after Computershare Mortgage Services, SLS acquisition closed.

May 07, 2024
Ishbia Predicts A Rate Cut By Election Day

CEO of United Wholesale Mortgage shares 'personal perspective' in new YouTube video

May 03, 2024
Yield Curve, Schmield Curve?

The yield curve is a harbinger, not the be-all, end-all for lenders.

May 02, 2024
UWM, UMortgage Under Attack For Alleged Shell Scheme

A report released on April 25 by the hedge-funded media company alleges UWM set up a shell company, UMortgage.

Apr 25, 2024
More Questions Than Answers At Housing Finance Climate Summit

Government officials, housing leaders, and climate scientists meet to address climate change's escalating impact on housing.

Apr 22, 2024
Maximum Acceleration, Originator Connect Network Sign Exclusive CE Agreement

Pact gives OCN guaranteed live CE at shows, creates nationwide opportunity for Maximum Acceleration

Apr 17, 2024