Skip to main content

LPS Study Finds Foreclosure Inventories Hit Record All-Time Mark

NationalMortgageProfessional.com
Nov 24, 2010

The October Mortgage Monitor report released by Lender Processing Services Inc. (LPS) shows that accelerated foreclosure referral activity over the last several months has pushed the foreclosure inventory rate to all-time highs. As of the end of October 2010, foreclosure inventories are 7.4 times historical averages and rising. The report also shows that foreclosure sales decreased dramatically over the last month as a result of the widespread moratoria. Overall, the percentage of loans moving from the foreclosure process to bank-owned status (or other involuntary liquidation) dropped by 35 percent in October. The moratoria contributed to further timeline extensions, as the average number of days past delinquent for loans in the foreclosure process approaches 500. As foreclosure activity increases, more 6- and 12-month delinquent loans are moving to foreclosure, but the extremely delinquent category (more than 12 months) continues to grow and age. A payment has not been made in more than year on almost one-third of all loans that are 90 or more days delinquent. And, of loans that have not made a payment in two years, more than 18 percent are still not in foreclosure. In the month of October, 263,000 loans entered the foreclosure process, which represents a 4.4 percent month-over-month decline. Total inventory of foreclosures is nearly 2.1 million loans with another 2.2 million loans in the "greater than 90-days delinquent, but not yet in foreclosure" status. While delinquencies remain elevated—currently registering at 2.7 times historical averages—a growing number of new 60-day delinquencies are re-defaults of loans that had previously been 60-days or more delinquent, and had become current. The number of "first-time" troubled loans, however, remained relatively stable during the last several months. As reported in LPS' First Look release, other key results from LPS' latest Mortgage Monitor report include: ►Total U.S. loan delinquency rate: 9.29 percent ►Total U.S. foreclosure inventory rate: 3.92 percent ►Total U.S. non-current* loan rate: 13.20 percent ►States with most non-current* loans: Florida, Nevada, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana ►States with fewest non-current* loans: North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming, Montana *Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state. Totals based on LPS Applied Analytics' loan-level database of mortgage assets and are extrapolated to represent the industry. Click here to view the full LPS October Mortgage Monitor report. For more information, visit www.lpsvcs.com.
Ocwen Financial To Acquire Reverse Mortgage Servicing Platform

Ocwen Financial Corporation's wholly-owned subsidiary, PHH Mortgage Corporation will acquire RMS' reverse mortgage servicing platform.

Industry News
Jun 18, 2021
UniteCT Emergency Rental Assistance Succeeds

Thanks to the successful launch of the UniteCT program, emergency rental assistance funds are helping Connecticut residents maintain housing.

Industry News
Jun 17, 2021
Angel Oak Mortgage Announces Initial Public Offering

Angel Oak Mortgage announced its initial public offering of 7,200,000 shares of its common stock at $19 per share.

Industry News
Jun 17, 2021
Mortgage Apps Rebound After Three Consecutive Weeks Of Declines

The Mortgage Bankers Association reported the first increase in mortgage applications after a three consecutive weeks on declines.

Industry News
Jun 17, 2021
CFPB New Rule Prevents Predatory Lending To Military Service Members

The CFPB stipulates its authority to examine supervised financial institutions for risk to active duty servicemembers and their dependents.

Industry News
Jun 16, 2021
Inventory Begins A Slow Recovery

Inventory grew 3.9% from April to May, according to Zillow's latest Market Report, after a year of steady decline.

Industry News
Jun 16, 2021