Skip to main content

LPS Reports Foreclosure Inventory Continues Upward Climb
Feb 08, 2011

The December Mortgage Monitor report released by Lender Processing Services Inc. (LPS) shows a continued increase in the inventory of foreclosed mortgages as more loans advance through the default process. The number of newly delinquent loans declined during 2010, helping push overall delinquent inventories down 18 percent for the year. The volume of loans moving to real estate-owned (REO) remains extremely low as moratoria and process reviews continue, further pressuring foreclosure inventories. While the 90-plus days delinquency category has declined, the number of loans moving to seriously delinquent status beyond 90 days still far outpaced the number of foreclosure starts. Just over 2.1 million loans are 90 days or more delinquent but not yet in foreclosure, with nearly 6.9 million loans in some stage of delinquency or foreclosure. The total number of delinquent loans is nearly twice as high as historical averages—and foreclosure inventory is currently 7.8 times higher than historical averages and is rising. The report also shows that over one-third of borrowers with loans that are 90 days or more delinquent have not made a payment in over a year. Self-cures for loans one-to-two months delinquent declined slightly in December, and late-stage cures, usually related to modification activity, continue to decline. In December, 259,518 loans were referred to foreclosure, which represents a 0.6 percent month-over-month decline. Origination activity continues to increase with new production in November reaching 2010 highs. While FHA originations have declined, the share of agency loans increased, and 95 percent of all new issuance remains government supported. As reported in LPS' First Look release, other key results from LPS' latest Mortgage Monitor report include: ►Total U.S. loan delinquency rate: 8.83 percent ►Total U.S. foreclosure inventory rate: 4.15 percent ►Total U.S. non-current* loan rate: 12.98 percent ►States with most non-current* loans: Florida, Nevada, Mississippi, Georgia, New Jersey ►States with fewest non-current* loans: North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming, Montana *Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state. Note: Totals based on LPS Applied Analytics' loan-level database of mortgage assets and are extrapolated to represent the industry. For more information, visit
Feb 08, 2011
Guild Mortgage Acquires Cherry Creek Mortgage

Terms of purchase not disclosed; reverse mortgage volume added to Guild.

Mar 14, 2023
Vigilance, Dedication, And Commitment Forge Legends

Submit a nomination for Mortgage Banker Magazine’s Legends of Lending.

Mar 10, 2023
FTC Moves To Block Black Knight, ICE Merger

Says it 'would drive up costs, reduce innovation, and reduce lenders’ choices.'

Mar 09, 2023
Rocket Arms Brokers With Bully Shield Vs. UWM

Rocket covers penalties and court fees for brokers who want to get out of United Wholesale Mortgage’s ultimatum contract. 

Feb 06, 2023
Top Texas Originator Sees No Surrender To 2023

Big cities will determine the battle

Jan 26, 2023
There’s Good & Bad News On The Horizon

There will be a real estate slump, but the big cities are coming out much better

Jan 26, 2023