Hurricane Matthew Damage Could Reach $6B – NMP Skip to main content

Hurricane Matthew Damage Could Reach $6B

Phil Hall
Oct 10, 2016
Flood_Insurance_Pic

The level of wind and storm surge damage to residential and commercial properties from Hurricane Matthew is estimated to be between $4 billion and $6 billion, according to data released by CoreLogic. The estimation does not include losses related to additional flooding, business interruption or contents.

 

CoreLogic also noted that 90 percent of the insurance claims tied to the hurricane are expected to be related to wind-related damage, with the remaining 10 percent related to storm surge. The hurricane impacted approximately 1.5 million residential and commercial properties in the southern part of the Atlantic Coast.

 

But despite the costs connected to the hurricane’s fury, CoreLogic pointed out that the insured loss estimate from Hurricane Matthew was much less than the destruction brought by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Superstorm Sandy in 2008. CoreLogic also credited “stringent Florida building codes” in helping to reduce insured property losses in that state.

Published
Oct 10, 2016
Chairman Xu Sells Off Personal Assets To Avoid Default

The Evergrande saga continues as Chairman Xu Jiayin sells off 7 billion yuan ($1.1 billion) of his personal assets to prop up the deflating property giant.

Industry News
Nov 23, 2021
OptiFunder Secures $25 Million In Capital

OptiFunder, a warehouse management system provider for mortgage originators, raised $25 million in additional capital lead by Arthur Ventures, a growth capital firm focused on high-growth, founder-led and capital efficient B2B software companies.

Tech
Nov 23, 2021
Mortgage Company Donates $100K To High School In Memory Of Fallen U.S. Navy Corpsman

Cleveland-based CrossCountry Mortgage donated $100,000 to Milan Edison High School in memory of U.S. Navy Corpsman, Maxton W. Soviak, who died while assisting in the evacuation of Americans and refugees in Afghanistan in August.

Community
Nov 23, 2021
MISMO Seeks To Standardize Pre-Closing Title Data

Forming workgroup to focus on standardizing document datasets to streamline process and increase efficiency.

Industry News
Nov 23, 2021
Pandemic's Impact On Real Estate Around The World

Although the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the real estate industry has been well-documented within the United States, it’d be prudent to know how the global event impacted other countries as well. 

Industry News
Nov 22, 2021
Housing Market Potential Strengthens Modestly

First American Financial Corporation's Potential Home Sales Model for October 2021 reported that potential existing-home sales increased 0.1% month-over-month to 6.27 million, with household formation continuing to grow, largely driven by millennials.

Analysis and Data
Nov 22, 2021