Ginnie Mae’s MBS Portfolio Tops $2 Trillion
October 15, 2018
Ginnie Mae’s mortgage-backed securities (MBS) portfolio has reached $2.008 trillion in unpaid principal balance, up from $1 trillion just eight years ago.
“The fact that Ginnie Mae has reached $2 trillion in outstanding principal underscores the corporation’s role and highlights our responsibilities as a pillar of America’s secondary mortgage market,” said Ginnie Mae Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Michael Bright. “Ginnie Mae’s explicit, transparent and paid-for government guaranty has set our MBS apart as one of the most reliable fixed-income securities in the world.”
Ginnie's business model significantly limits risks to taxpayers by providing a safe, effective and government-backed channel for the flow of capital for U.S. mortgages from around the world. Ginnie has never missed a payment—even during the financial crisis—and returns money to the U.S. Treasury every year. By continuing to attract global capital into the housing finance system, Ginnie helps to support homeownership for veterans, first-time homebuyers, and millions of low- and moderate-income Americans throughout the country.
Approximately $35.75 billion of Ginnie Mae MBS was issued in September. September issuance is comprised of $34.58 billion of Ginnie Mae II MBS, and $1.17 billion of Ginnie Mae I MBS, of which $1.03 billion is backed by multifamily mortgages. Total MBS issuance for fiscal year 2018 was $434.7 billion.
FMJ Job Listings
- Mortgage Loan Underwriter - Tulsa Federal Credit Union - Tulsa, OK
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I-Shelby - Fifth Third Bank - BRIGHTON, MI
- Mortgage Loan Originator - Fifth Third Bank - GEORGETOWN, KY
- Financial Center Manager Associate - 222 South Riverside Plaza Chicago IL - Fifth Third Bank - Chicago, IL
- CRA Loan Specialist - Fifth Third Bank - Southfield, MI
- Emerging Mortgage Loan Specialist - Fifth Third Bank - LOUISVILLE, KY