Ginnie Mae’s MBS Portfolio Tops $2 Trillion
October 15, 2018
Ginnie Mae’s mortgage-backed securities (MBS) portfolio has reached $2.008 trillion in unpaid principal balance, up from $1 trillion just eight years ago.
“The fact that Ginnie Mae has reached $2 trillion in outstanding principal underscores the corporation’s role and highlights our responsibilities as a pillar of America’s secondary mortgage market,” said Ginnie Mae Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Michael Bright. “Ginnie Mae’s explicit, transparent and paid-for government guaranty has set our MBS apart as one of the most reliable fixed-income securities in the world.”
Ginnie's business model significantly limits risks to taxpayers by providing a safe, effective and government-backed channel for the flow of capital for U.S. mortgages from around the world. Ginnie has never missed a payment—even during the financial crisis—and returns money to the U.S. Treasury every year. By continuing to attract global capital into the housing finance system, Ginnie helps to support homeownership for veterans, first-time homebuyers, and millions of low- and moderate-income Americans throughout the country.
Approximately $35.75 billion of Ginnie Mae MBS was issued in September. September issuance is comprised of $34.58 billion of Ginnie Mae II MBS, and $1.17 billion of Ginnie Mae I MBS, of which $1.03 billion is backed by multifamily mortgages. Total MBS issuance for fiscal year 2018 was $434.7 billion.
FMJ Job Listings
- Chief Lending Officer - Members Trust of the Southwest FCU - Houston, TX
- Mortgage Loan Coordinator - Plano, TX - Bank Of America - Plano, TX
- Mortgage Loan Coordinator - Bilingual (Spanish) - Plano, TX - Bank Of America - Plano, TX
- Financial Center Lending Officer - Centre Park - Columbia, MD - Bank Of America - Columbia, MD
- Financial Center Lending Officer - 12 Mile/Halsted FC - Farmington Hills, MI - Bank Of America - Farmington Hills, MI
- Personal Banker II - Stonecrest (Charlotte area) - Fifth Third Bank - Charlotte, NC