Powell: Trump Has Not Tried to Fire Me
January 4, 2019
Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome H. Powell affirmed the White House’s insistence that President Trump has not made any attempt to fire him.
According to a Washington Post report, Powell answered questions about his job security during the American Economic Association’s annual meeting in Washington. A recent Bloomberg report citing anonymous sources claimed the President wanted to fire Powell after the Federal Reserve began raising rates this year—the Administration pushed back on the report by stating it was not true.
When asked directly if the President sought to remove him from office, Powell replied, “No. I have no news for you on that.” When asked if he would resign in the face of the President’s criticism, Powell simply answered, “No.”
Powell added that we would be willing to meet with the President, although no meeting has been planned yet. “I can’t think of any Fed chairs who didn’t eventually meet with the President,” he said.
FMJ Job Listings
- Private Banking Sr. Client Service Assoc. - Fifth Third Bank - Chicago, IL
- Financial Center Manager - Atlanta, GA - Fifth Third Bank - Alpharetta, GA
- Retail Personal Banker II - Mature - Elgin - Fifth Third Bank - SOUTH ELGIN, IL
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I - Fifth Third Bank - West Bloomfield, MI
- Financial Center Manager Associate - North Shore - Fifth Third Bank - Northbrook, IL
- Retail Personal Banker II - Mature - Elmhurst - Fifth Third Bank - ELMHURST, IL