Over 50% Of Americans In Support Of Freezing Mortgage And Rent Payments
April 20, 2020
On Friday, April 17, Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) introduced a bill that would essentially cancel rent and mortgage as the Coronavirus continues to wage its war on the nation. After unveiling the bill, a poll from Data for Progress found that 55% of Americans are in favor of the bill, with only 33% in opposition.
Rep. Omar is proposing that with her bill, mortgage payments can be cancelled and mortgage holders will be eligible to apply to have losses covered by the a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development-operated Home Lenders Relief Fund.
Data for Progress released its poll questioning whether the current methods of forbearance and deferrals are enough for homeowners struggling through the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Salon.
"We need to keep money in the pockets of working people in this country and a moratorium on rent and evictions is a major step in the right direction," said Justice Democrats executive director Alexandra Rojas.
"The focus of additional COVID-19 emergency relief packages should match the scale of the crisis that millions of Americans are facing."
Subscribe to the NMP Daily
FMJ Job Listings
- Loan Officer - Guild Mortgage Company LLC - Mount Vernon,
- Loan Processing Assistant - Guild Mortgage Company LLC - North Richland Hills,
- Loan Processing Assistant - Guild Mortgage Company LLC - Bellevue,
- Mortgage Underwriter (Government Loan Adminstrator) - Centris Federal Credit Union - Omaha,
- Mortgage Loan Officer- Consumer Direct Sales - FNBO - Omaha,
- Loan Officer - Guild Mortgage Company LLC - Vernal,