Wells Fargo Asks Court To Dismiss Lawsuit Over Hiring Practices – NMP Skip to main content

Wells Fargo Asks Court To Dismiss Lawsuit Over Hiring Practices

Apr 05, 2023
gavel in courtroom

Shareholder lawsuit filed after N.Y. Times articles claimed company conducted fake interviews for jobs already filled to meet diversity requirements.

Wells Fargo & Co. has filed a motion asking a California federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit that alleges it deceived investors with false promises to interview diverse job candidates.

The financial institution said in its motion that the proposed class action hasn't proven that company leadership knew about "isolated" incidents in which fake interviews were allegedly conducted.

The shareholder lawsuit claims Wells Fargo propped up its stock by misleading investors about its commitment to workplace diversity and failing to disclose the truth about its hiring practices. The company filed its motion to dismiss 10 months after an investor lodged the proposed class action, claiming that articles published by the New York Times in the spring and summer of 2022 led to an 8.6% price decline in Wells Fargo's stock price.

According to the Times' articles, some bank employees faked interviews for positions that had already been filled, in order to meet a company target on diversity. The company policy, enacted in 2020, required that at least 50% of candidates for positions making more than $100,000 per year be from diverse backgrounds. Candidates could include people who identified as racial minorities, women, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, or people with disabilities, according to court documents.

Wells Fargo said the plaintiffs in the lawsuit did not prove there was widespread noncompliance with the interview guidelines, which the company discussed on many occasions both in investor filings and with the media. Wells Fargo also said investors didn't offer any evidence that Wells Fargo executives, including CEO Charles Scharf, knew of the alleged fake interviews.

The lead plaintiff, appointed in November, shouldn't be allowed to amend the complaint, because it "has had months to investigate its claims, with the benefit of persistent media attention and public interest," the company said in its motion to dismiss. "Nevertheless, plaintiffs still have not been able to muster sufficient allegations to plead adequately their claims. They should not be afforded another opportunity to try do so."

The proposed investor class is represented by Jennifer Joost, Naumon Amjed, Darren Check, Ryan Degnan, and Karissa Sauder of Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check LLP.

About the author
David Krechevsky was an editor at NMP.
Published
Apr 05, 2023
More from
Courts
Better Deploys Poison Pill In Escalating Fight With Garg

The shareholder rights plan adds a 15% ownership trigger while the former CEO solicits shareholder consent to remove five of Better’s eight directors

Aug 20, 2026
Better Sues Garg After His Claimed Voting Majority Falls Short

The former CEO acknowledges an “administrative error” left him without enough consents to remove five directors, but his formal campaign for board control is moving forward

Aug 19, 2026
Two Harbors Responds To UWM Lawsuit; Ishbia Reassures Brokers

Two Harbors disputes UWM’s claims and questions its $603.2 million derivatives loss, while Ishbia says the wholesale lender has never been stronger

Aug 12, 2026
UWM Seeks More Than $500M From Two Harbors After Failed Deal

Lender alleges Two Harbors undermined their merger and steered the company toward CrossCountry, turning a costly acquisition failure into a federal court fight

Aug 10, 2026
UWM Previews Bid To Dismiss Rocket’s $100M Servicing Lawsuit

UWM argues Refi75 was permissible mass advertising

Jul 27, 2026
Kortas Secures Sole Ownership Of NEXA Lending

The settlement ends a multiyear legal battle between the co-founders of NEXA Lending

Jul 20, 2026