LPS' report finds total delinquent loans 21.3 percent higher than last year – NMP Skip to main content

LPS' report finds total delinquent loans 21.3 percent higher than last year

NationalMortgageProfessional.com
Apr 12, 2010

The latest Mortgage Monitor report released by Lender Processing Services Inc. (LPS), a provider of mortgage performance data and analytics, shows that the total number of delinquent loans was 21.3 percent higher than the same period last year. Although the data showed a small 1.45 percent seasonal decline in delinquencies from January 2010 to February 2010 month-end, the national delinquency rate still stood at 10.2 percent. The report is based on data as of February 2010 month-end. The nation's foreclosure inventories reached record highs. February's foreclosure rate of 3.31 percent represented a 51.1 percent year-over-year increase. The percentage of new problem loans also remains at a five-year high. The total number of non-current first-lien mortgages and real estate-owned (REO) properties is now more than 7.9 million loans. Furthermore, the percentage of new problem loans is also at its highest level in five years. More than 1.1 million loans that were current at the beginning of January 2010 were already at least 30 days delinquent or in foreclosure by February 2010 month-end. As a result of the federal government's Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP), delinquent loans that were modified and that remained current through HAMP's three-month trial period--called "cures-to-current"--have increased. Advanced delinquency rolls, however, remain elevated from a historical perspective. Other key results from LPS' latest Mortgage Monitor report include: ►Total U.S. loan delinquency rate: 10.2 percent ►Total U.S. foreclosure inventory rate: 3.3 percent ►Total U.S. non-current* loan rate: 13.5 percent ►States with most non-current* loans: Florida, Nevada, Arizona, Mississippi, California, New Jersey, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio and Indiana ►States with fewest non-current* loans: North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming, Nebraska, Montana, Vermont, Colorado, Washington and Minnesota *Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state. Note: Totals based on LPS Applied Analytics' loan-level database of mortgage assets. LPS manages the nation's leading repository of loan-level residential mortgage data and performance information from approximately 40 million loans across the spectrum of credit products. The company's research experts carefully analyze this data to produce dozens of charts and graphs that reflect trend and point-in-time observations for LPS' monthly Mortgage Monitor Report. To review the full report, listen to a presentation of the report or access an executive summary, click here. For more information, visit www.lpsvcs.com.  
Published
Apr 12, 2010
Hometown Lenders Adds 9 Branches in 4 States

Adds locations in Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and North Carolina.

Industry News
May 23, 2022
Mortgage Industry Will Soon Be ARMed To The Teeth

ARM loans might be a saving grace to borrowers who recently purchased a home, but it comes with risks.

Industry News
May 20, 2022
Battle Between Loan Originators Gets Sparkly and Dirty

Flowers is suing both Durosko and Peevey for these pranks, demanding compensation for their harmful acts, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. 

Industry News
May 18, 2022
FirstClose Receives $35M Investment From Lateral

Fintech says it will use the investment to expand its growing financial services footprint.

Industry News
May 18, 2022
Mortgage News Network Launches Podcast On Helping Underserved Borrowers

'Gated Communities' looks at why homeownership gap is increasing, and what lenders are doing to reverse the trend.

Industry News
May 17, 2022
Class Valuation Appoints EVP Of Valuation Modernization

Cristy Conolly will focus on removing bias from the equation in appraisals.

Industry News
May 17, 2022