Skip to main content

LPS' April report finds 90-day default rate stable

Jun 01, 2010

The Mortgage Monitor report released by Lender Processing Services Inc. (LPS), a provider of mortgage performance data and analytics, indicated that signs of stabilization in the nation's home loan delinquency and foreclosure rates remain largely neutralized by the more than seven million loans in distress. According to the Mortgage Monitor report, the number of loans 90 or more days delinquent (including pre-sale foreclosure) declined 112,184--from 4,186,627 to 4,074,443--between March and April, with the total number of non-current U.S. loans plus real estate-owned (REO) just over 7.3 million (extrapolated to represent total mortgage market). Conversely, deterioration ratios remain high, with two loans rolling to a "worse" status for every one loan that has improved and the overall volume of loans moving from delinquent to current status declined to a three-month low supported primarily by "artificial cures" associated with HAMP modifications. In addition, newly delinquent loans (current at year-end and 60 or more days delinquent as of April) have declined from the 2009 levels but still remain extremely high from a historical perspective, particularly within prime product. Other key results from LPS' latest Mortgage Monitor report include: ►Total U.S. loan delinquency rate: 8.99 percent ►Total U.S. foreclosure inventory rate: 3.18 percent ►Total U.S. non-current* loan rate: 12.17 percent States with most non-current* loans: Florida, Nevada, Mississippi, Arizona, Georgia, California, Illinois, New Jersey, Michigan and Rhode Island States with the fewest non-current* loans: North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Nebraska, Vermont, Colorado, Iowa and Minnesota *Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state. Note: Totals based on LPS Applied Analytics' loan-level database of mortgage assets. LPS manages a repository of loan-level residential mortgage data and performance information from nearly 40 million loans across the spectrum of credit products. The company's research experts carefully analyze this data to produce dozens of charts and graphs that reflect trend and point-in-time observations for LPS' monthly Mortgage Monitor Report. To review the full report, listen to a presentation of the report or access an executive summary, click here. For more information, visit www.lpsvcs.com.
About the author
Published
Jun 01, 2010
Fannie Mae Implements Notice Of Potential Defect Process To Address Loan Repurchase Risks

Faced with market challenges, Fannie Mae reintroduces a Notice of Potential Defect, allowing lenders a grace period to rectify significant loan issues before repurchase requests, amid calls for broader industry reform.

Feb 29, 2024
Rocket Pro Originate Mortgage Platform To Close; Shifts Focus To Mortgage Brokers

Rocket Pro Originate, a platform serving real estate agents and financial professionals, announces closure.

Feb 28, 2024
United Wholesale Mortgage Reports Fourth Quarter Loss Of $461 Million, But Remains Bullish For 2024

UWM Chairman and CEO Mat Ishbia optimistic despite financial setback, cites operational profitability and broker dominance.

Feb 28, 2024
Condo Prices, Sales Falling In Florida

New regulations and rising insurance costs hold back buyers in six major metros.

Feb 26, 2024
Buyer Beware

Unpriced climate risk the housing market’s bubble in the bloodstream.

Feb 26, 2024
Rocket Companies Reports Decline in Fourth Quarter Revenue, Projects Optimism for Future Growth

Despite revenue dip, mortgage giant sees increase in market share and advances in AI technology.

Feb 22, 2024