Skip to main content

LPS' May Mortgage Monitor Report finds increase in rate of new delinquencies

NationalMortgageProfessional.com
Jul 06, 2010

The May Mortgage Monitor report released by Lender Processing Services Inc. (LPS), a provider of mortgage performance data and analytics, shows a 2.3 percent month-over-month increase in the nation's home loan delinquency rate to 9.2 percent in May 2010, and that early-stage delinquencies are increasing as normal seasonal improvements taper off. This report includes data as of May 31, 2010. According to the Mortgage Monitor report, the percentage of mortgage loans in default beyond 90 days increased slightly, while both delinquency and foreclosure rates continue to remain relatively stable at historically high levels. There are currently more than 7.3 million loans currently in some stage of delinquency or real estate-owned (REO). The report also shows that the average number of days for a loan to move from 30 days delinquent to foreclosure sale continues to increase, and is now at an all-time high of 449 days, resulting in an increase in "shadow" foreclosure inventory. After a two-month decline, deterioration ratios increased, with 2.5 loans rolling to a "worse" status for every one that has improved. The number of delinquent loans that "cured" to a current status declined for every stage of delinquency, except in the "greater than six months delinquent" category. This improvement was likely the result of trial modifications made through the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) that transitioned into permanent status. Other key results from LPS' latest Mortgage Monitor report include: ►Total U.S. loan delinquency rate: 9.20 percent ►Total U.S. foreclosure inventory rate: 3.18 percent ►Total U.S. non-current* loan rate: 12.38 percent ►States with most non-current* loans: Florida, Nevada, Mississippi, Georgia, Arizona, California, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio and Indiana ►States with the fewest non-current* loans:North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Nebraska, Vermont, Colorado, Iowa and Minnesota *Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state. Note: Totals based on LPS Applied Analytics' loan-level database of mortgage assets. LPS manages a repository of loan-level residential mortgage data and performance information from nearly 40 million loans across the spectrum of credit products. The company's research experts carefully analyze this data to produce dozens of charts and graphs that reflect trend and point-in-time observations for LPS' monthly Mortgage Monitor Report. For more information, visit www.lpsvcs.com.
Published
Jul 06, 2010
Federal Regulators Race To Address Cryptocurrency Risks

Cryptocurrency is quickly morphing into a volatile but widely embraced innovation, and federal regulators are racing to address the potential risks to consumers and the market. 

Industry News
Sep 24, 2021
MBA Initiative Seeks To Close Racial Homeownership Gap

Says its advocacy, partnerships & connections will help increase opportunities for minority borrowers

Industry News
Sep 24, 2021
Guaranteed Rate Opens New Branch In Southwestern Michigan

Guaranteed Rate expanded its presence in Southwester Michigan, after opening a new branch in St. Joseph

Industry News
Sep 22, 2021
Chinese Property Giant Evergrande Falters, Threatening U.S. Investors

On Monday, investors across three continents dumped their stocks, mainly out of fear that the world’s two largest governments — the United States and China — would undercut the beginnings of a global economic recovery. 

Industry News
Sep 22, 2021
Compass Mortgage Expands In Four Additional States

Compass Mortgage is now licensed in Virginia, Washington, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Industry News
Sep 22, 2021
Enact Holdings Completes IPO

Genworth Financial Inc. announced the completion of the initial public offering for its subsidiary Enact Holdings Inc.

Industry News
Sep 21, 2021