Skip to main content

GSE foreclosure starts on the rise in new LPS survey

NationalMortgageProfessional.com
Jul 30, 2010

The June Mortgage Monitor report released by Lender Processing Services Inc. (LPS) shows that overall foreclosure starts and foreclosure inventories have remained relatively stable; however, foreclosure starts for loans owned by the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) are at an all-time high. The largest percentage of GSE foreclosure starts are coming from loans that are six or more months behind on payment. This finding is consistent with the reports of increased Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) trial period cancellations. Total delinquent and foreclosure inventories remain at historically elevated levels with Jumbo and Agency prime product experiencing the greatest percentage increase since January 2008. The report also shows that two loans are deteriorating in status for every one loan that improved, and approximately 775,000 loans that were current at the beginning of January are at least 60 days delinquent or in foreclosure as of the end of June. Conversely, the volume of loans "curing" to a current status from most stages of delinquency has increased slightly. The greatest percentage increase in cures over the last several months has come within the late stage of delinquency (180 days or more), and is primarily attributable to HAMP trial modifications being converted to a permanent status. Other key results from LPS' latest Mortgage Monitor report include: ►Total U.S. loan delinquency rate: 9.55 percent ►Total U.S. foreclosure inventory rate: 3.65 percent ►Total U.S. non-current* loan rate: 13.2 percent ►States with most non-current* loans: Florida, Nevada, Mississippi, Georgia, Arizona ►States with the fewest non-current* loans: North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, Wyoming, Montana *Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state. Note: Totals based on LPS Applied Analytics' loan-level database of mortgage assets. For more information, visit www.lpsvcs.com.  
Published
Jul 30, 2010
Federal Regulators Race To Address Cryptocurrency Risks

Cryptocurrency is quickly morphing into a volatile but widely embraced innovation, and federal regulators are racing to address the potential risks to consumers and the market. 

Industry News
Sep 24, 2021
MBA Initiative Seeks To Close Racial Homeownership Gap

Says its advocacy, partnerships & connections will help increase opportunities for minority borrowers

Industry News
Sep 24, 2021
Guaranteed Rate Opens New Branch In Southwestern Michigan

Guaranteed Rate expanded its presence in Southwester Michigan, after opening a new branch in St. Joseph

Industry News
Sep 22, 2021
Chinese Property Giant Evergrande Falters, Threatening U.S. Investors

On Monday, investors across three continents dumped their stocks, mainly out of fear that the world’s two largest governments — the United States and China — would undercut the beginnings of a global economic recovery. 

Industry News
Sep 22, 2021
Compass Mortgage Expands In Four Additional States

Compass Mortgage is now licensed in Virginia, Washington, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Industry News
Sep 22, 2021
Enact Holdings Completes IPO

Genworth Financial Inc. announced the completion of the initial public offering for its subsidiary Enact Holdings Inc.

Industry News
Sep 21, 2021