FINRA Foundation Study Shows Lack of Savings Can Result in Mortgage Problems – NMP Skip to main content

FINRA Foundation Study Shows Lack of Savings Can Result in Mortgage Problems

NationalMortgageProfessional.com
Mar 14, 2013

The FINRA Investor Education Foundation has released a new study revealing that households without emergency savings are more likely to experience mortgage payment problems when faced with an income shock. Households without emergency savings, or rainy day funds, were three times more likely than households with emergency savings to make a late mortgage payment—and almost twice as likely to be involved in a foreclosure. These differences exist even after controlling for other factors that can impact mortgage payment behavior—like income, education and geographic region. The new study, "Softening the Blow: Income Shocks, Mortgage Payments and Emergency Savings" is based on data from the 2009 National Financial Capability Study, an online survey of more than 28,000 respondents (approximately 500 per state, plus D.C.). "Softening the Blow" found that minorities and households with dependent children are more vulnerable to income shocks. Among households that experienced an income shock: ►Minorities were 52 percent more likely to make late mortgage payments relative to non-minorities; and ►Dependents in the household increased the likelihood of late mortgage payments by 48 percent. “The Great Recession and the housing downturn devastated the finances of families across the country,” said FINRA Foundation President Gerri Walsh. “Data collected during this period, when many family budgets were stretched past the breaking point, suggest that having a rainy day fund can make the difference between being able to stay in your house and making late mortgage payments and facing foreclosure. That’s an important lesson for all Americans, especially as the economy continues to recover.” The FINRA Foundation’s new study shows the extent to which lower-income Americans were especially unable to withstand an income shock during the Great Recession. Among households experiencing an income shock, those with incomes below $50,000 were 43 percent more likely to make late mortgage payments relative to their more affluent counterparts.
Published
Mar 14, 2013
KBRA Assigns Preliminary Ratings To CSMC 2022-NQM1 Trust

Kroll Bond Rating Agency assigned preliminary ratings to CSMC 2022-NQM1, a $553.7 million non-prime RMBS transaction sponsored by DLJ Mortgage Capital, Inc.

Non-QM
Jan 25, 2022
Hunt Mortgage Appoints Chief Operating Officer

Bindiya Jain previously has served as a vice president at South Shore Bank and at UniBank for Saving. 

Industry News
Jan 25, 2022
Guild Mortgage Names VP Of Marketplace Diversity Strategy

Guild Mortgage named Victoria Garcia DeLuca as the company's vice president of marketplace diversity strategy, which is aimed at increasing homeownership among minorities and underserved markets.

Industry News
Jan 25, 2022
Deephaven Introduces Jumbo-Prime Loans

Non-agency/non-QM Deephaven Mortgage announced a new jumbo-prime loan product, as it looks to help mortgage banks and brokers compete for high-net-worth borrowers.

Jumbo
Jan 25, 2022
Rocket Mortgage Brokers Now Backed By A Crew Of Experts

Every broker partner with the company will have direct access to a small, dedicated team of mortgage experts to answer their loan questions.

Industry News
Jan 24, 2022
Atlanta Real Estate Agent Sentenced For Running Multi-Year Mortgage Fraud Scheme

So far, up to 11 people have plead guilty in Federal Court to the multi-year mortgage fraud scheme, which netted more than $21 million in fraudulent mortgage loans.

Industry News
Jan 24, 2022