Native American Tribe Sues HUD Over Mortgagee Letter
April 23, 2019
The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has been sued by a Native American tribe that claims a recently published Mortgagee Letter will deprive the tribe of an important revenue source.
Utah’s Cedar Band of Paiutes and two of its wholly-owned companies, the Cedar Band Corp. and the CBC Mortgage Agency (CBCMA), filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah seeking an immediate halt to HUD’s Mortgagee Letter 19-06, claiming that it will prohibit CBCMA from participating in home-purchasing assistance programs outside of its tribal sovereignty. CBCMA is a governmental housing agency that provides down payment assistance to borrowers planning to buy a mortgage insured by the Federal Housing Administration. The tribe claims the Mortgagee Letter was released without prior notice or comment input and was issued outside of the traditional process that requires presidential approval. The tribe added that the Mortgagee Letter encroaches on tribal sovereignty and goes against federal policy on Native American economic development.
“The harm that HUD has inflicted on CBCMA and the members of the Cedar Band with this administrative action is staggering,” said Lead Counsel Helgi C. Walker of Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP, who is representing the tribe. “CBCMA has operated as a governmental provider of down payment assistance for years, indeed pursuant to regulations that expressly allow tribes to provide down payment assistance. But now HUD has changed the rules without notice, throwing CBCMA and borrowers into a state of chaos. We intend to rectify this unlawful agency action and vindicate our client's legal rights.”
FMJ Job Listings
- Transaction Coordinator (Lead to Contract) - Guild Mortgage Company - Delta,
- Loan Officer Assistant - Guild Mortgage Company - Kirkland,
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I - Fifth Third Bank - WESTERVILLE, OH
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I- Louisville, KY - Fifth Third Bank - LOUISVILLE, KY
- Mortgage Processor III - Fifth Third Bank - Richmond, VA
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I - South Bend - Fifth Third Bank - SOUTH BEND, IN