CFPB Files Suit Against Certified Forensic Loan Auditors
September 6, 2019
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (Bureau) filed a complaint in federal court in the Central District of California against Certified Forensic Loan Auditors LLC (CFLA) and two of its officers, Andrew Lehman and Michael Carrigan, alleging them with fraudulently marketing of financial advisory and mortgage assistance relief services to consumers.
CFLA is a foreclosure relief services company incorporated in California and headquartered in Houston, Texas. Lehman is CFLA’s president and CEO and Carrigan is the company’s sole auditor. The CFPB accused the company and the men of violating the Consumer Financial Protection Act of 2010 (CFPA) and Regulation O with deceptive and unsubstantiated claims about CFLA’s mortgage assistance relief services, particularly in regard to foreclosure avoidance and loan modifications negotiating. The CFPB also charged CFLA and Lehman with requiring consumers to the company’s fees before services were actually rendered, in violation of Regulation O.
If entered by the court, the proposed order will permanently ban Carrigan from providing mortgage assistance relief services or consumer financial products and services and impose a $493,000 civil money penalty. However, the CFPB noted Carrigan’s limited ability to pay and added he would be required to pay $5,000 of the civil money penalty and the remaining amount will be suspended.
FMJ Job Listings
- Direct Channel Loan Originator - Fifth Third Bank - Wilmington, OH
- Consumer Loan Credit Underwriting Manager - Fifth Third Bank - Cincinnati, OH
- Retail Personal Banker Associate II - Fifth Third Bank - NAPLES, FL
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I - Fifth Third Bank - NAPLES, FL
- Retail Personal Banker Associate II - Fifth Third Bank - St. Petersburg, FL
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I - Fifth Third Bank - St. Petersburg, FL