CFPB Settles With Mortgage Company On Deceptive Loan Ads Sent To Service Members And Vets
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau issued a consent order against Low VA Rates LLC after finding that the company sent mailers for mortgage loans guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs containing false, misleading and inaccurate statements, according to a press release.
According to the CFPB's report, Low VA Rates' conduct violated the Consumer Financial Protection Act's Mortgage Acts and Practices - Advertising Rule and Regulation Z. The Utah-based mortgage lender and broker incorporated in Colorado is licensed in 48 states and the District of Columbia used direct-mail to primarily advertise to U.S. military service members and veterans. The CFPB's consent to order requires that Low Va Rates pay a penalty of $1.8 million to the bureau while imposing requirements to prevent future violations.
"Today’s action is the ninth and last case stemming from a Bureau sweep of investigations of multiple mortgage companies that used deceptive mailers to advertise VA-guaranteed mortgages," according to the CFPB report.
"The Bureau commenced this sweep in response to concerns raised by the VA about potentially unlawful advertising in the mortgage lending market."
Click here to read more about the settlement.
Subscribe to the NMP Daily
FMJ Job Listings
- Mortgage Loan Specialist - Mortgage Loan Assistant I - Self-Help Federal Credit Union - Sacramento, CA
- Mortgage Escrow Analyst II - Fifth Third Bank - Cincinnati, OH
- Area Sales Manager (ASM) I - Fifth Third Bank - Raleigh, NC
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I . Bonita Springs FL . Full Time - Fifth Third Bank - Bonita Springs, FL
- Financial Center Manager Associate-- Pinellas/Pasco/Hillsborough - Fifth Third Bank - Palm Harbor, FL
- Retail Personal Banker Associate I - South Nashville Bench - Fifth Third Bank - Fairview, TN