HUD Seeks New Rule on Manufactured Housing
February 3, 2020
In an effort to expand the available stock of affordable housing options, the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) issued a proposed rule to revise the federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards to expedite construction and update safety requirements for carbon monoxide detectors.
HUD has recommended updates to code provisions and allow for more optimal use of manufactured housing in urban areas, including Opportunity Zones. This includes additional requirements for the installation of carbon monoxide alarms or detectors and additional provisions for homes designed for structures attached at the site, including garages and carports. Separately, HUD issued a final rule on formaldehyde emissions for manufactured homes that the Department said was in better alignment with regulations from other federal guidelines.
“The nation’s affordable housing crisis can’t be solved by one measure alone, but today we’re proposing changes that remove more of the red tape that stands between the production of safe, quality homes, and the nation’s families and individuals that need these homes to make homeownership a reality,” said HUD Secretary Ben Carson. “This proposal is a strong example of how we believe we can both reduce regulation and improve safety and security for the nation’s homebuyers. Thank you to the entire Clayton Homes team for facilitating an informative discussion on the new building technologies and materials used in manufactured housing today.”
HUD announced the changes during its ongoing “Driving Affordable Housing Across America Bus Tour” campaign to call attention to obstacles blocking the development of affordable housing opportunities.
FMJ Job Listings
- Sales Operations Manager II - Bank Of America - Charlotte, NC
- Home Services Specialist III/II - Bank Of America - Brea, CA
- Fulfillment Team Leader-SFLO - Bank Of America - Tampa, FL
- Financial Center Lending Officer-Westchester - Bank Of America - Miami, FL
- Financial Center Lending Officer - West Los Angeles Financial Center - West Los Angeles, CA - Bank Of America - West Los Angeles, CA
- Financial Center Lending Officer - Valley Fair Mall FC - West Valley City, UT - Bank Of America - West Valley City, UT